List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Operations on the parent of a closed thread
From:       Till Adam <till () adam-lilienthal ! de>
Date:       2003-03-30 16:03:20

On Sunday 30 March 2003 18:10, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
> On Sunday 30 March 2003 16:18, Till Adam wrote:
> > > - A closed selected thread should be marked different from a thread
> > > where only the top-level messages is selected (e. g. by changing the
> > > color of the [+]/[-] thingie). Else it won't be possible to tell the
> > > difference between a selected thread (which was selected by selecting
> > > the root of a closed thread) and a selected top-level message (which
> > > was selected when the thread was open but then the thread was closed).
> >
> > Ok, marking it different sounds like a good additional hint.
>
> Yes but I'm curious how that can be achieved with QListViewItems. I guess
> you'll have to do the painting yourself.

Sounds painfull. How about a new symbol to the right of the [+] like the ones
for replied or important?

> > > BTW, what does your patch do if I select the top-level message of a
> > > thread and then close the thread? As you patched
> > > KMHeaders::selectedMsgs() I guess that after closing the thread the
> > > complete thread will be treated as selected which is IMO wrong
> > > behavior.
> >
> > Why is that wrong? For me a closed thread is a unit, represented by the
> > parent. Actions on the parent should be executed on the unit, which means
> > all messages of the thread. Collapsing a thread is making a unit out of
> > the messages in it, therefor collapsing a thread with a selected parent
> > is selecting that whole thread. That is consistent and intuitive, in my
> > opinion.
>
> No because you don't see the messages that you are deleting. So you want to
> introduce a behaviour that operates on some messages without actually
> showing them. This could be efficient if you know it but what if you think
> you operate only on the selected message?

Then you undo. ;) Ok, how about making this an off-by-default option after all
and implementing some kind of visual clue that the whole thread is selected
and not only the single parent message? That way the default behavior isn't
changed and people don't accidently delete their spam, yet those who find the
new behavior more intuitive can activate it. Do you also think that
collapsing a thread whose parent is selected should not select the thread, as
Ingo does?

Till