List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: adding timestamp to transmission completed statusbar message
From:       "Patrick S. Vogt" <patrick.vogt () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2003-02-26 11:16:48

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 02:26, Marc Mutz wrote:
<snip>
> Time to set one up ;-) Chance are that your network printers are already
> SLP-enabled.

There is only one out of four nets, that I could do it in.  But I agree with
you that SLP would be nice to have.

> > What I was thinking of is, to have the possibility to assign a
> > network to a SMTP server entry in kmail and then have kmail check
> > what IP address is used and decide according to the network which
> > SMTP server to use.
>
> Hackish. I'd prefer to have an extended profile management (easy
> switching of profiles, not via config dialog, editing and creation of
> new profiles) so one could bundle together more than just SMTP options.

Agreed it's a bit hackish.
ATM KMail enables me to switch the SMTP host quickly via the "Mail transport"
pulldown menu, thats a nice feature, but nevertheless most of the time I
switch after getting a 5.x.x answer.
An other option would be to have an other program that allows the user to
switch networksettings and then notify KMail to use a different SMTP
server/mailsending profile.

> Unacceptable. The message injection host ("smarthost") is not guaranteed
> to be the same as the one listed in the MX record for that domain.
> Scanning networks is not acceptable, even if the SMTP ports found would
> always correspond to smarthosts that were willing to accept mail from
> the local network. And even if you found a host that accepted mail from
> you, that would make KMail vulnerable to a trivial spoofing attack:
> Just open a local SMTP server on an arbitrary host on the network and
> watch all the mails that unfortunate KMails send to you in the belief
> that you are the legitimate smarthost (it doesn't matter that it's
> possible to use DNS spoofing to do the same thing; DNS spoofing is
> probably harder than to hookup a standard Linux install with SMTP
> server started...).

Agreed this would be dangerous if done automaticly, but I am rather thinking
of a "look for SMTP servers" button and let the user choose the server.
Futher more the networkscanning might really be a bit of an overkill, and
would probably not work really efficient.  Looking for the MX records would
work in most networks I am plugged into, non of them uses a smarthost for
message injection.

> That leaves two options (which are not mutually exclusive):
> 1. Use SLP to find smarthost SMTP servers.
> 2. Extend profile management with user profile creation, modification
> and fast switching (toolbar button).

I would first implement the 2nd option (with an automatic recognition, since
only having a toolbar button would not change much) nevertheless it might be
nice to have the 1st one too.

Whats about my other two proposals?  (They are more important in my eyes.)
It's really nice to have the time stamp.
It would be really nice if KMail would stop checking for mail, if no network
is available.

Patrick