List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrated subset of make_it_cool
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-27 7:58:23

On Thursday 26 December 2002 22:33, Don Sanders wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just committed some code to cvs, there's no reason why we can't
> still discuss it right?
>
> I'm _ok_ with discussing the changes I've made to cvs. Let me
> explain:
>
> I forked the make_it_cool branch out of cvs on or near Nov 30. I made
> a copy of the cvs tree at that date and I have a copy of the
> CVS/Entries file with all the version numbers.
>
> Then over the next month I've integrated in bug fixes from
> make_it_cool. I can post a diff of those bugs fixes.
>
> Then I merged in the changes in the 3_1_BRANCH I can post a diff of
> those changes too (let me do some work now, I can post these changes,
> and a list of which version of which files I integrated after work)
>
> So we can get a precise description of the changes made and identity
> which changes on your list I've already integrated.
>
> Finally committing the code to cvs also allows users to test in
> parallel as we discuss the changes merged in ok? And that's what I
> want I want to get actual feedback from users, peer review of patches
> is useful but it's not a substitute for actual testing of the app.

I agree with the above, but none of it really relates to our problem
here.

I compiled the merged KMail, tested it a bit, looked at the diff. Then I
cleaned up the basemant (by the way, I found my ping-pong table, in
fact I didn't even know I have one, come to think of it, I'm not sure
how one looks like, so it might be just a chair) to cool down a little
bit and I came to the conclusion that the merge was done properly as
far as its technical asspects go. I can easily build on that codebase
and I don't think there's a purely technical reason on a basis of which
I'd vote for reverting this merge.

So what is the problem? The problem is that I could have merged
make_it_cool two weeks ago, but other KMail developers asked to review
the changes in a sensible way. A request, that I felt, was more than
reasonable considering I'm not the only one coding here and this is an
open source project. I'm not sure if you missed the thread in which I
asked whether its OK to merge in make_it_cool in one go but the census
was reached that the changes from make_it_cool will be integrated into
HEAD like any other big changes - after a peer review. Right here you
skipped that step, denying Ingo's right to veto some of the changes.
That's what bothers me - that you're spliting the team.

And  personally I don't have a bigger problem with having make_it_cool
merged in one go for a very simple reason - I know that code, I was
working with it for the last two months. I think you assumed that
everyone here went through make_it_cool codebase, which is of course
not true. As one of the few (for definitions of few in the range [2,3])
who know the code in make_it_cool I don't feel like I should be a part
of this discussion anymore. I feel that developers whose right to
review or just go through the changes in form of patches you negated
should speak up, and I will support them.

I don't think that I'll be reading this list for the next two days.
Today I coded on DBus and some other stuff and you know what? It was
fun. I remembered why I'm doing this.

I expressed what I think about the whole situation, it be great if all
KMail developers, not only the core, could do the same, as that would
let us see the whole perspective. If you guys wish to talk, you can
call me at (814) 777-0690 (plus the US prefix, whatever that is). Maybe
Ingo and Don should also have a phone conversation.

Hopefully you won't shoot each other during the soon to come hackfest.
Remember the important things - like that fact I'm the only one of you
without a job ;) So no matter how bad you feel - I feel worse :)

Zack

--
I've found Jesus. He was behind the sofa the whole time.