List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: What I almost did.
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-12 5:25:15

Please see attachment. I can only assume that you fail to see the
injustice that has occurred because you are not famliar with all the
facts.

Don.

On Thursday 12 September 2002 15:03, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> On Thursday 12 September 2002 03:21, Don Sanders wrote:
> (...)
>
> > There is significant information concerning events that are
> > important yet obscure and and that I have not yet revealed.
> >
> > This means that *no one* is well informed enough to accurately
> > judge the validity of my actions at this stage.
> >
> > I will continue to work on my case and present if before the
> > internet community when I am ready. For instance it may take me
> > some time to go through my old email archives on CD and hunt for
> > personal emails exchanged between myself and Stefan Taferner.
>
> Obviously you must do that to find peace for your mind.
>
> I wish you manage to retrieve the information you're looking for
> and have it presented to us soon so we can continue to normal
> operating mode once you 'allow' us to "judge the validity of your
> actions".
>
> You have been told to stop behaving like a child by several persons
> including me.
>
> I hope the day will come when you think about that!
>
> Nobody 'stole maintainership' from you.
>
> You are not the only person having a big Ego - most of us suffer
> from that problem since we are programmers, that's quite normal for
> our profession (or hobby, resp.) but should _not_ lead to actions
> like the ones taken by you.
> Large collaborative Free Software projects can not be worked on in
> such a unteachable ego-centric way.
>
> I a not wiser that you but I try to listen to others when it
> becomes obvious that I got stuck in an idea: be it concerning a
> patch that I like to see in HEAD or be it concerning other
> questions...
>
> Karl-Heinz

["forwarded message" (message/rfc822)]

From: Don Sanders <sanders@kde.org>
To: Waldo Bastian <bastian@kde.org>
Subject: Re: Zero-copy parsing of messages achieved
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 03:19:35 +1000
Cc: Dirk Mueller <mueller@kde.org>

On Sunday 08 September 2002 05:09, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Saturday 07 September 2002 02:33 am, Don Sanders wrote:

> > > The About KMail boxs does not list you as a Maintainer. You did
> > > not object to that change for 9 months which, if you were
> > > indeed the Maintainer, you could/would. As far as I am
> > > concerned it is without question that Michael is the current
> > > Maintainer.
> > >
> > > Get over it.

Waldo I would like to point out that one of the reasons why I feel
like I've been treated very unfairly here is that until this week
I've never given myself credit in any about box. Before I've only
ever modified about boxes to give credit to other people, that was a
strong personal rule of mine. I was raised in a family where we were
definitely not permitted to 'toot your own horn'.

For instance I never added myself to the KMail about box George
Staikos did that and I never asked him to.

I most certainly did not give myself the title of KMail maintainer.
That change was made by Daniel Naber without my involvement:
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdenetwork/kmail/main.cpp.diff?r1=1.110&r2=1.111&only_with_tag=MAIN

Furthermore I wrote KAddressBook and I never gave myself the title of
author, I only put The "kde pim developers" in the about box and
later somone else changed the about box to give me the title original
author.

The reason why I put Micheal's name above mine and gave us both the
same title as current maintainer is that until this week I've always
tried to give others credit for their work on not take any credit for
myself.

This is why I never complained about Micheal changing me to former
maintainer, even though he did this in the middle of December 2001, a
month during which I was on a much need holiday and a day which I was
attending the annual Trolltech Christmas party.

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdenetwork/kmail/main.cpp.diff?r1=1.138&r2=1.139&only_with_tag=MAIN

I want to be committed to KDE in the long term. But that means I need
to go on holiday sometimes and even have stop contributing to
packages for several months when personal and work responsibilites
become overwhelming, which is something that can happen when you work
at Trolltech.

But that's really hard when core developers endorse the action of
degrading the contributions of people who have tried to be unselfish
and support the behaviour of those who take maintainership from
someone while they are on Christmas holidays.

Furthermore I don't think I'm the legitimate owner of the KMail
package yet, I feel that I'm still in the process of adopting the
package from Stefan Taferner, as he hasn't officially orphaned the
package yet.

Don.