List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: mime tree layout
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-09-10 19:12:30

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 12:50, you wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> shouldn't we discuss this in public on the KMail mailing list?

sure, i just didn't want to add noise to the list when i know that you are the
one with the authoritative answer on the topic. it is your answer which
dictates whether i contemplate removal of that configurability or not.

> This is something that might increase the gap between the make-it-cool
> branch and the official KMail HEAD branch - therefor I consider it of
> interest for the other KMail developers as well.

of course ... i'm cc'ing the list on this for input there ... right now i'm
just sizing up the things that can be made better UI wise and how much
lattitude i have based on technical reqiurements. the greater part (if not
all) of the UI changes i have in mind should actually be quite easy to move
from one branch to another, and my hope is that once the changes are actually
seen in action that those developing in HEAD will see the light ;-P and let
me port the changes to HEAD as well.

why the branch? well, many of the changes i'll be making in the branch have
been discussed on the list in the past, but to little avail. to be candid,
the people managing kmail have understood how to write the guts of an email
app remarkably well, but there has been a general lack of understanding of UI
issues. and that has been very frustrating for me. =)

i'd like to fix that, and the branch offers me the opportunity to do so
without presenting any sort of risk to HEAD.

> Thank you for your patience.  :-)

and yours =)

> On Tuesday 10 September 2002 19:48, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hi karl....
> >
> > quick question regarding the placement of the mime tree in kmail's main
> > window:
> >
> > is there a technical reason why you allowed the mimetree to be placed in
> > several different location in kmail mainwindow (as allowed on the Layout
> > page in KMail's config dialog)? e.g. was it a requirement of the aegypten
> > project to put it in a specific place that isn't appropriate for most
> > poeple? or was it a requirement to make it configurable?
> >
> > or was this just another case of "allow configurability because we can
> > and because making policy decisoins is too difficult"?
> >
> > if it is the latter,  i'm going to remove the configurable placement of
> > the mimetree in the new branch as part of an overall UI strategy of
> > simplicity and effectivity.
> >
> > take care... =)

- --
Aaron J. Seigo