List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Stuff I'm working on
From:       Bo Thorsen <bo () sonofthor ! dk>
Date:       2002-09-10 19:11:47

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 20:10, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i don't think anyone would LIKE to have a fork. if it become absolutely
> necessary, though, you will discover that some people are willing to
> support it.

A fork doesn't happen by accident. It happens because two versions are
developed in different directions.

I don't see why this should be the reason here. After working two years on gcc
which is *heavily* infested with branches - something like 5 development
branches and 3 release branches being maintained simultaneously - I'm
completely convinced that branching can be a very good thing. But it requires
a couple of things:

Any change to HEAD should be imported into the branches. Just working on a
branch and porting the development back when you're done is impossible. Your
work will be lost or the project forked. This happens all the time simply
because the branches are not kept up-to-date with the latest HEAD, usually
because developers don't believe this point.

It requires active work on both sides. There will be problems with conflicts,
and when that happens, it has to be fixed in both branches or a temporary
workaround made in the development branch - like if you're doing completely
new architecture stuff, put it in a different file for now and not in the
right one before the re-merge.

It's easiest to just do a single development on a branch and merge it when
it's done. Don listed a bunch of cool developments that he wants to
implement. With all this stuff, it is going to be a lot easier for all
branches, if un-related developments goes in separate branches. Even if this
means that one can't use the cool new kernel technology in the other branch
before it's back in HEAD. This is especially true when touching the parts of
KMail that is used by lots of classes.

I personally think development branches are A Good Thing(TM), but it requires
work to make it possible to merge them later. So, if noone here wants a fork
- and so far none has said they do - it's simply a matter of making sure it
doesn't happen.

It's just work and we all have too much time on our hands, right? :-)

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark