List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail usability with IMAP
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-02 7:57:05

On Thursday 01 August 2002 21:49, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
> On Thursday 01 August 2002 08:13, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Even caching messages is not what everyone wants, lots of people
> > run IMAP servers on their home machines, and for them caching
> > messages is pointless.
>
> Well I don run an IMAP Server at home and can say that caching is
> even in that environment very neccessary. I takes quite some time
> to load all the headers in a folder with 500+ msgs (at least it
> took KMail quite some time when it had no caching). Still I think
> it would be great to be able to disable the caching. We have 20MB
> quota at university and mail and browser caches can get quite big
> so I have to disable/delete that regularly.

I was talking about caching messages that is the complete messages
including the body, I wasn't talking about caching headers.

But to be honest I am surprised downloading the headers is slow for
just 500 headers on a local connection, especially as by all accounts
KMail's header retrieval is fairly optimized.

Don.