List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: system tray notification patches updated for 3.1
From:       Ryan Breen <ryan () porivo ! com>
Date:       2002-06-09 23:42:32

You're right about the multiple system trays when new KMMainWins are created
-- I wrongly assumed that KMMainWin was a singleton :-)  I'll work on moving
KMSystemTray to KMKernel.

As for the 'friend' association, KMSystemTray is a friend of KMFolderTree, not
KMMainWin.  I needed this mod to connect to the mUpdateTimer for receiving
delayedUpdate signals.  If there is a less obtrusive way of doing this,
please let me know.

I switched to basing system tray notification off of
KMFolderTree::delayedUpdate in response to a suggestion by Michael Häckel
last November (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kmail&m=100506753530462&w=2).  The
very earliest versions used KMFolderManager, but the suggestion was to use
delayedUpdate to avoid additional folder traversal overhead.

Ryan