List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    system tray notification patches updated for 3.1
From:       Ryan Breen <ryan () porivo ! com>
Date:       2002-06-09 17:49:29

As the freeze for unplanned features in 3.1 is rapidly approaching, I have
updated the system tray notification patch for your consideration.  Actually,
there are now three mutually exclusive patches, as I wanted to provide a
spectrum from least obtrusive to largest feature set.

In order from smallest to largest:

Basic -- Provides an option to display a system tray icon when new mail
arrives, hides icon when all mail is read.
Dual mode -- Adds an option for an 'always on' system tray mode that displays
an animation when new mail arrives and allows the user to minimize KMail to
the tray.
Dual mode + passive popups -- Merges the dual mode patch with Richard Moore's
passive popup patch.  If 'always on' mode is selected and passive popups are
enabled, the popups will originate from the system tray icon.

The patches are available at http://www.ryanbreen.com/kmail

I have maintained the basic patch since August 2001 and have only run patched
versions ever since.  Over time, I have expanded the patch in response to
user requests (hence the dual mode and passive popup patches).  I'm happy to
keep maintaining these patches either in CVS or outside of the main tree, but
I'm hopeful that some form of system tray notification can be merged for 3.1.

Thanks,
Ryan