List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail inserted one blank line too much - two "headers"
From:       "Malte S. Stretz" <msquadrat.nospamplease () gmx ! net>(by way of Malte S !  Stretz <ms
Date:       2002-05-30 16:47:04

On Thursday 30 May 2002 00:27 CET Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 18:23, Malte S. Stretz wrote:

> > > It doesn't span two line in my mbox file. This is what the relevant
> > > headers of Don's message look like in my mbox file:
> > >[...]
> >
> > Are you shure that KMail didn't unwrap the line again?
>
> I'm pretty sure that KMail doesn't alter received messages in any way.

Hmmm...

> >[...]
> > Maybe some intermediate transport is broken? I sent some test mails
> > to myself and I could reproduce that the space between the mail
> > address and the comment is stripped away. It seems like my local SMTP
> > server running Postfix does this (checked every intermediate mail
> > server except the list servers directly with and without SpamAssassin
> > active). But... looks like the mail you _did_ have the space...?
>
> Yes, my version of the mail does have a space. It seems Postfix doesn't
> canonicalize the email address correctly.

I'll update my Postfix in the near future. But: Postfix wasn't involved in
the route Don's mail went:
* Don sent it to the list. Obviosly everything's (almost) all right on the
way there because you had the space. The only thing which was added was the
backslash wich you received, too. The only reason to add a backslash there
is IMHO somebody trying to escape the new line. Maybe not KMail but some
server in your local mail system unfolded the line?
* The list daemon delivered it to my GMX address. GMX runs qmail. I sent a
test mail and GMX doesn't remove spaces nor does it add backslashes.
* From there it is forwarded to the mail server of my domain. My provider
runs sendmail. I sent a test mail and my provider doesn't remove spaces nor
does it add backslashes.
* I fetch it directly from there with POP3. I sent a test mail and POP3
doesn't remove spaces nor does it add backslashes. ;-)

>[...]
> > I attached a long comment to this mail, let's see how it looks like...
>
> Here the From: header is folded between the '>' and the '('.

Here the From: header isn't folded at all...

>[...]

Ok, something's fishy here :o) But I think it's no problem with KMail but
with some misconfigured servers. Maybe one of the server choked and added
the new line. Neither me nor you (nor anybody else) were possible to
reproduce it, so maybe we've got to file it as a curio.

Malte