List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Displays of Attachments
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-28 17:07:23

On Sunday 28 April 2002 16:37, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 28 April 2002 15:09, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

[new layout: long folder list and Mime Tree below the Text View]

> > I have added this one as option 2 now.
> > It isn't the default (yet) since I expect S/MIME mails become more
> > and more used in the near future and in this case you quite often
> > will want to quickly access the Mime Tree for various reasons...
>
> Maybe the BSI people will use S/MIME. I doubt that home users will
> widely use S/MIME in the near future. They will use PGP/MIME instead.

For personal use this surely is true at the moment.

However in the future _lots_ of people will compose signed (and encrypted)
mails who now do not spend a singel minute on questions like "Why sign?"

The reason for this is the new signature/encryption task forces started
by several countries's governments: eg. german government plans to offer
internet access for citizens to ease communication with authorities like
tax agency...  To make sure all participants will share the same security
model this will run through S/MIME using centrale government-ruled key
servers which will create the Root Certificate to be used for ultimately
validating each next-level certificate... down to the end users own key.

Technically spoken this will use the new interoperability standard ISIS-MTT
and - poetically spoken - this will /boost/ both security-awareness of many
thousands of people and usage of S/MIME.

This is the long-end reason why I thought this layout should be the default.

But - on the other hand - you are right: People today and in next months do
either not care about security at all or - most likely - have it PGP based.

So I have no objection against declaring the new "Mime Tree at bottom" as
KMail's default setting.   :-)

Cheers,

Karl-Heinz

--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>