List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Help with IMAP Support?
From:       Frans de Wet <Frans () de-Wet ! com>
Date:       2002-03-30 13:22:30

> Hmm, I wonder where the sent mail is put if the sent-mail folder on the
> IMAP server is not unavailable.

You see ... this is more than just a small question ... I do not want to even
be able to use my email if my IMAP server is unavailable.  It must be same as
when a SMTP server or Sendmail is not available.  I do not want to be able to
do anything mail related unless we make a feature whereby you can still read
your email you have cached locally if you cannot reach the server or somthing
like that.  But, I do not even want that functionality.  I can understand
that other people might want it though.

To that extent, I would propose that KMail could start up in one of two ways:
1. if you DO have local mail folders ORf you have this caching enabled it
will start up even if the IMAP server is unavailable (Although you cannot
send email, or check for email if KMail does not have the local folders
enabled.
2.  if you DO NOT have local folders or caching enabled KMail will tell you
that your KMail server is unavailable, display a more detailed error message
upon request, tell the users to see his/her Admin or fix the problem, and
EXIT.

Does any of this make sense ?

> Anyway, IIRC Carsten Burghardt is already working on getting rid of
> unused local folders.

Thanks for the info ;-) Is he also active on this list ?    If so, Carsten, do
have small summary of what you are doing?

> LDAP support is work in progress (cf. Aegypten project,
> www.gnupg.org/aegypten/)

Thanks once again.

Frans de Wet