List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Confusion over 'you wrote'/'fred wrote'
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-12-30 3:33:06

On Saturday December 29, 2001 03:35, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Saturday 29 December 2001 06:58 am, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > But which is a more common behavior?  Crossposting mailing lists, or
> > privately replying to an author?
>
> For anything beyond a normal "reply" I use "reply all" and throw out
> those addresses that I don't want.

Try that on a non-munged mailing list.  Try having do to that for every
single reply you send to a mailing list.  Multiply that by a few lists and
see how much extra effort that becomes.

Even among developers, I think non-munged lists are pretty common.
Sourceforge lists appear to default that way.  Of the non-KDE lists I'm
on, half act that way.  Is my experience really that exceptional?

I think what kind of mailing list is more common should determine what's
on the toolbar.  If lists that don't do Reply-to are common, then Reply to
list belongs on the toolbar, even if Reply to All remains.  Toolbars are
supposed to make the common tasks quick.  Would anyone argue that replying
to a mailing list isn't such a common task?

However, if munged lists truly are more common, then I'm wrong for
pointing to the url, and a reply to sender should be made available.

Outside of KDE, what's more common?  Of the lists I'm on they're evenly
split both ways.
--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.