List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Confusion over 'you wrote'/'fred wrote'
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2001-12-30 3:46:41

hi...

> supposed to make the common tasks quick.  Would anyone argue that replying
> to a mailing list isn't such a common task?

it is common if you are on a lot of mailing lists... however, most of the
non-programmer users i know (and even some of the techies) respond much
more often to personal/private email as they are on few mailing lists. but
whether or not replying to mailing lists is common isn't the point here,
really... whether or not more lists set the reply-to header to the list or
to the original sender is what is...

> Outside of KDE, what's more common?  Of the lists I'm on they're evenly
> split both ways.

if we're counting personal experience, i'm on several dozen email lists
from 8 different sources that i can think of off the top of my head (KDE
is one of those) and the number of lists that set the reply-to to the list
address are _deffinitely_ the majority. having been on probably well over
150 email lists over the last 10 or so years i'd say that this has been
the case for most of the lists i've been on.

in fact, when a list doesn't "munge" the adress (don't you love it when
someone picks an obviously derogotory name to reflect their distaste for
the practice? ;), it annoys me since i often reply to the individual when
i really want to reply to the list. that is probably why most lists do it
that way.

take care...

--
Aaron J. Seigo