List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail development
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <T.Zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2001-10-12 9:53:37

Hello all

Thanks for your interest on what we are planning to implement.

Maybe we should explain how we think this can be done. There are two
different things that people want. First, not to have to download
big mails and be able to delete them on the server. Second is to
have a posibility to download some (big) mails some times later.
What we like to do in the first step is to implement the posibility to
delete unwanted mails on the server. If this works we can go on the the
feature to give the posibility to download special mails later.

Delete mails on the server:
How can it be done?

1. Download headers of mails which have a certain size. The size can be
configured (by default around 50K). This is to prevent overhead.
2. Select mails which sould be deleted, by looking at the list of
headers.
This can be done in 2 ways and will be done by configurable filters.
a) exclude: remove mails from the list you want to keep and delete all
left over.
b) include: select mails from the list that should be deleted, get all
others.
3. Show the list in a confirmation dialog where you can
for a) keep mails that were selected for deletion and refine filters
for b) select additional mails for deletion and refine filters
This dialog will be optional. So if you have a bulletproof ruleset (if
there is such a thing) KMail will not bug you and delete the unwanted
mail
silently.
4. Delete unwanted mails from server
5. Start of normal download

The rules can be defined in a seperate dialog (similar the mailfilters)
and can be activated for each POP account seperately.

If we have implemented this we will go on with the feature to mark mails
for later download.

Heiko & Thorsten