List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: When trying to authenticate to a proxy, I get "unknown authorization method"
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-01 3:13:48

On Friday 31 August 2001 17:35, Cory Pierson wrote:
> I have upgraded to KDE 2.2 using RPMs and I am still getting this error
> message which pertains to KDE 2.1.1.  Did I miss something?  I found the
> following in Konqueror's FAQs and I thought it would disappear when I
> upgraded to 2.2 but it is still here.
>
> from FAQs:
>
> When trying to authenticate to a proxy, I get "unknown authorization
> method" (KDE 2.1.1)
> Unfortunately a bug was introduced when the code that deals with
> authentication was being revamped for the 2.1.1 release. The bug has now
> been fixed in both the development as well as the current stable branches.
> If you compiled KDE 2.1.1 from source code through anoncvs.kde.org, please
> update kdelibs/kio/http to the current version of 2.1.1 using
> cvs upd -r KDE_2_1_BRANCH
> in that directory.
> We apologize for the inconvenience.
>
> Thanks for any insight.

Hi Cory,

Does whatever you are authenticating to work with browsers other than IE ?  We have received
reports of some IIS servers send only non-standard authentication requests which we ofcourse
do not support such as NTLM IIRC.  We only support Digest and Basic authentication schemes.
You should only get this message if your server does not send either one of these authentication
schemes.

BTW, the problem has long been fixed as stated in the FAQ and tested by people who had this
issue in the 2.1.1 tree.  Were you one of those people who reported such bug against 2.1.1 ?  I
cannot remember that back :(  Anyways, if you can supply a link to the page with the problem
or find out what authentication schemes the server in question supports it would be easier to find out.
I would ask you to sent be a debug output, but since you installed from RPMS that would not work.
Hmm... but you can use the `wget` program to connect to the site in question see the header information
it returns which should contain the required authentication...

Regards,
Dawit A.