List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: When trying to authenticate to a proxy, I get "unknown authorization method"
From:       "Cory Pierson" <cpierson () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2001-09-01 14:38:19

Thanks Dawit,

No, I was not one of the people who reported the bug.  I am a recent joiner
of the mail list.  I am a programmer coming in from the cold with a great
deal of excitement for and about OSS.  I do hope to be able to contribute to
OSS once I am able to come up to speed on all this neat stuff.

I don't understand why, but now it's working!  Your reply was helpful as it
caused me to believe it was a setting on my proxy server.  In hopes of
helping others and attempting to understand all this, I am providing you
with the following description of what I did....

I am using Small Business Server 4.5, with Proxy Server 2.0.  After reading
your reply, I revisited the Default Web site and Administration Web site and
my son's website properties via the Microsoft Management Control.  For each
one the Directory Security setting for Anonymous Access and Authentication
Control was Allow Anonymous Access and Windows NT Challenge Response.  I
unchecked the Windows NT Challenge Response one at a time testing from my
KDE workstation if I could access the web.  When all 3 had Windows NT
Challenge Response unchecked I could SUCCESSFULLY access the www from my KDE
workstation!  Yeah!  Next I went back and revisited each of the 3 sites in
turn, checking the Windows NT Challenge Response box and each time I was
able to connect from my KDE workstation.  Now all my settings are back to
the original state when previously I could not connect, but now I can.  I
don't understand this Microsoft stuff...  No telling what will happen when I
reboot the Small Business Server, but I am not going to do that now!

As an aside, I have an AlphaServer 1000A which I have Red Hat 7.1 running.
As soon as I become more familiar with Apache and a mail server (leaning
toward qmail), I will replace the Small Business Server with it.  Fun
project!

Again, thanks for your inspiration!

Cory