List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Konqueror and accessibility
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-08-30 7:24:05

Can someone handle this ?
(I'm moving today....)

Subject: Konqueror and accessibility
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:38:41 -0400
From: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
To: faure@kde.org
Cc: jongund@uiuc.edu, ij@w3.org

David,

My name is Ian Jacobs [1], and I work for the Web
Accessibility Initiative [2] at the World Wide
Web Consortium. I am co-editor of a document entitled
"User Agent Accessibility Guidelines (UAAG) 1.0 [3]," which
explains to developers how to make user agents (including
HTML browsers) more accessible to people with disabilities.
A summary of the UAAG 1.0 is available [4].

I am writing for a couple of reasons:

 1) Thanks for developing Konqueror. I'm a Linux user;
    my colleagues and I are Konqueror fans.

 2) Konqueror accessibility.

    Do you know whether there are any developers working
    specifically on the accessibility of Konqueror?  I am
    aware of the "Speaker" [1]  plug-in, which will help
    users with visual disabilities.I'm also aware of
    the Gnome accessibility project [6]. Do you know of any
    other efforts in this area?

    We are currently trying to get the UAAG 1.0 to
    W3C's Candidate Recommendation status, and we would like
    to document the accessibility features already implemented
    by deployed browsers. I would appreciate any pointers you
    have about Konqueror accessibility features. If you (or
    one of your fellow developers) are interested in chatting
    with me about Konqueror accessibility features (and, for
    example, walking through the requirements of UAAG 1.0
    and discussing how Konqueror implements or could implement
    them), I would be delighted to set up a meeting of, say
    90 minutes.

 3) Upcoming face-to-face meeting.

    Our Working Group is having a face-to-face meeting (hosted
    by Microsoft in Redmond) on 13-14 September and it would be
    great if a Konqueror developer could attend. We will be
    discussing implementation issues and trying to secure
    implementation commitments from developers. We can't "leave"
    Candidate Recommendation status until we show that each
    feature of our spec has been implemented. I would welcome
    any contributions to this effort you might be able to offer.

    Meeting page: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001/09/ua-meeting

    Registration:

http://cgi.w3.org/Register/selectUser.pl?_w3c_meetingName=UAWGsep2001

    Note: There's no cost to attend, but you have to go to
    Redmond...

  4) More information about the UA Guidelines Working Group
     is available at http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/. We also welcome
     any comments you have on the document itself. We are not
     likely to make substantial technical changes at this time, but
     we are always happy to clarify the document so that it is more
     useful to developers.

Thank you for your time. If you have any questions, don't
hesitate to ask.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/
[3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20010731/
[4] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20010731/uaag10-summary
[5] http://dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org/~grrussel/speaker.html
[6] http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/