List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror Sidebar TNG (was: Re: FWD: RE: FWD: A question about konqueror)
From:       Jelmer Feenstra <spark () dds ! nl>
Date:       2001-05-30 15:57:35

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 13:22, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to contribute to the next sidebar.
> I think qwertz's mixture between mozilla's/ie6's bar looks quite nice, I'm
> going to try to implement it (some test code), or does someone else have a
> good idea how it should look like or does someone already have code ?

I've sort of promised to work on the sidebar (quite :) a while ago. Yesterday
I started trying to get a basic framework in place.  The idea I/we have is :
- a vertical toolbar
- toggle buttons on it to select which plugins should be visible
- every plugin contained in a kdockwidget, so they can be moved around in the
sidebar and can be undocked

> I think the plugins should be quite lowlevel, not even kparts, i think this
> would be too much overhead for this purpose. If a plugin really needs to
> show a kpart, eg html or so, it should load it itself. It thinkt the
> simplest, easiest and best way is, to make an abstract pluginclass which
> inherits from a simple QWidget.

Carsten Pfeiffer and I had some words about what a plugin should be capable
of doing. As I don't have a clear idea about it yet I think we could be
discussing it on irc or on this mailinglist. Especially establishing what
communication between the sidebar and the other views is necessary is needed.

Tell me what you think of it.

Jelmer Feenstra