List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: FWD: RE: FWD: A question about konqueror
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-26 15:21:54

On Saturday 26 May 2001 18:10, Jonathan Lee wrote:
> Okay, here's the exciting scoop!!  My wife was using the KDE 2.1.1 help system
> and commented to me, "hey isn't this tab thing in the sidebar what you were
> talking about working on?"  The help system is run through Konqueror and
> somebody obviously decided to create a side bar with tabular structure.

Well, Qt has tabbed widgets, that's no scoop :)
What needs to be done for konqueror isn't to write a tabbed-widget from scratch
(I didn't know you thought this was necessary :(, but simply to put together some
high-level design (base class) for plugins to go into that tabbed widget - and make
that tabbed widget provide a normal [toggle-]view in konqueror.

This is very much like the current dirtree btw, which has itself a modular design
so that different "modules" can add their stuff into it. This could either remain as it
is, the current tree becoming one plugin in the future sidebar, or it could be turned into
one module per tab - thus separating bookmarks, history etc. from the directory tree.
This seems to be the idea behind qwertz's drawing anyway... Well, this depends on
what we want to do. In any case, the idea is roughly the same as the current
tree modules, except that each module would be in a tab instead of a subtree.

But QTabWidget exists, yes. The only thing is, it only supports horizontal tabs
(as in khelpcenter, and any tabbed dialog) whereas qwertz's idea was to have
vertical tabs. This would need to build our own widget.......