List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: FWD: RE: FWD: A question about konqueror
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-05-26 15:17:44

On Samstag, 26. Mai 2001 14:51 Jonathan Lee wrote:

Hi,

> It doesn't look like Jelmer is around at the moment (or maybe has responded
> to the kfm-devel list, something I need to subsribe to. So I apologize for

he did reply, unfortunately just to me alone (I guess that was an accident,
but I won't simply forward it here without knowing his intentions. The
problem is, he said he won't be able to read mails until Sunday, so this will
have to wait a bit).

> done), I'd personally like to know where he's gone with his vision of the
> project to prevent duplicate work.  No need to reinvent the wheel so to
> speak. Update here, I'm moving this week and starting a new job - so that's

He said, there's nothing concrete yet, and he's also a bit hesitant to design
the sidebar himself and would appreciate some help on that. He also proposed
an irc meeting where you can discuss all the issues. I'll jump in as soon as
I have some time in the next days.

> going to render me a bit on the fringe anyway, and I have a new two week
> old son named Alex and he absorbs most of the rest of my time.  I can look

Congratulations :)

> into starting something like this mid to late June, but wanted to cover all
> my bases before I did.  My school taught Java/Scheme/Perl/VB (the VB was a
> stupid reqirement). So I'm teaching myself C/C++ on the fly here and that
> will likely be a hinderment, which is why I had hoped someone had started

Java will be a big help, the Java API is somewhat similar to Qt's/KDE's.

> work on updating the sidebar or at least creating plug-in tags in the code
> to make sure all of this stays _sane_.  A few of my friends code well in C,

I think the sidebar will be redone -- the current one will actually become a
plugin for the new one. Have a look at
http://207.44.242.45/~qwertz/sidebar3.html
for some ideas how the sidebar should work.

> and are interested in such a project, but they are teaching themselves C++
> right at the moment for this and are worried we might open the proverbial
> pandora's box.  I'll keep people informed as we go, but might appriciate
> any major opinions about where toes lie so when we stomp on them, we know
> we're doing it ahead of time.  :-)

:) Ok, do you have some ideas what sort of plugins you want to create? Might
be easier to design the sidebar if we have some usecases what it is supposed
to make possible.

PS: write the subscribe-mail to kfm-devel-request@kde.org, not kfm-devel :)

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer