List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror cache/off line browsing
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-23 20:23:13

On Friday 23 March 2001 09:26, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Yes, you're right :-)
> >
> > I think it shouldnn't be too hard. When we have a page in cache we try to
> > verify it with the webserver. (We didn't do this in the time of kfm) If
> > we can't connect during this verification phase, we should treat the
> > verification as successfull and add a warning.
> >
> > Will fix.
>
> <snip>
>
> The problem with this is that it would fire up dial-on-demand
> connections just to see that the page hasn't changed. Netscape - as you
> will know - has the "[...]cache compared to [...] network" options
> "never", "once per session" and "everytime". Konqueror thus seems to
> implement the last one only. I guess that at least the second one should
> be implemented, too. Configurable, of course.

Ah well, we have the following cache control options:

cacheonly: returns an error if not in cache
cache: returns from cache, connects to network if not in cache
verify: [default] verifies with network if found in cache, connects to
network if not in cache.

See http.cc:2180. We just need to make it possible to configure the default
then. This might be a nice job for someone who wants to start coding for
konqueror.

Cheers,
Waldo
--