List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror cache/off line browsing
From:       Tobias Anton <anton () stud ! fbi ! fh-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2001-03-26 18:18:10

On Friday 23 March 2001 21:23, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 23 March 2001 09:26, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Yes, you're right :-)
> > >
> > > I think it shouldnn't be too hard. When we have a page in cache we try
> > > to verify it with the webserver. (We didn't do this in the time of kfm)
> > > If we can't connect during this verification phase, we should treat the
> > > verification as successfull and add a warning.
Hmm, we could add cachecontrol modes for this, i mean we could add something
like "tryVerify" or "VerifyIfConnected" (to host/internet)
just an idea...

> > > Will fix.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > The problem with this is that it would fire up dial-on-demand
> > connections just to see that the page hasn't changed. Netscape - as you
> > will know - has the "[...]cache compared to [...] network" options
> > "never", "once per session" and "everytime". Konqueror thus seems to
> > implement the last one only. I guess that at least the second one should
> > be implemented, too. Configurable, of course.
>
> Ah well, we have the following cache control options:
>
> cacheonly: returns an error if not in cache
> cache: returns from cache, connects to network if not in cache
> verify: [default] verifies with network if found in cache, connects to
> network if not in cache.
>
> See http.cc:2180. We just need to make it possible to configure the default
> then. This might be a nice job for someone who wants to start coding for
> konqueror.

Well, it's made configurable via $EDITOR $HOME/share/config/kioslaverc, but
the KControl module is missing. I don't see what needs to be done inside
Konqueror, though.

If somebody points me to it, I mean, tells me where to start, I'd extend the
control module.