List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Form Completion
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2001-03-10 19:51:33

Am Samstag 10 März 2001 08:54 schrieb Dawit Alemayehu:
> On Saturday 10 March 2001 00:30, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > Am Samstag 10 März 2001 00:23 schrieb Dawit Alemayehu:
> > > On Friday 09 March 2001 15:30, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > > edit->completionObject()->setItems(static_cast<KHTMLView*>(view)->formC
> > >om pl etionItems(element->name().string()));
> > >
> > > this looks like a KLineEdit call and means that a completion object is
> > > going to be created for all input widgets on a page.  This IMHO is too
> > > expensive specially on web-pages with large input fields.  The best
> > > thing to do here is to create the completion object and share it among
> > > all the created widgets and delete it when you are done with it...
Well, I could change it to create a completion object only if there are items
in the QStringList. Wonder why I didn't do so in the first place.

> > I thought about one completion object for one form, but then decided
> > it would be more overhead to seperate between input-names than to have
> > one completion object for every text-input, maybe I'm wrong here.
>
> Hmmm... hard to say.  It is probably comparable :)  One issue here however
> is that it would mean that if all you do is enter username/password, you
> have to do it at least once for all the places where you have to enter this
> info before you get a completion match, right ?  Then that would sort of be
> counter-productive.  Hmmm... perhaps I should shut up before I test how
> this stuff works :)
If the sites name their input fields alike, it's enough to enter the user
name once on only one of them, provided that the username is the same. And
the field names are probably named equally on many sites, to support IE's
form completion :)
Currently this doesn't work for passwords at all. I wouldn't want to show the
passwords unsplatted in the completion popup and a bunch of "*****" entries
in the popup isn't really helpful, is it?

> BTW, you know you are going to have to write a config option for this,
> sometime down the line right ? :)  Or simply enable the completion mode
> changer and save the setting such that the user can choose the completion
> mode to use.  BTW this can be no completion mode as well.
Of course, this will be "turnoffable" :)

> Anwyays, instead of complaining first I should have said excellent work!  I
> think you just made the hearts of a lot of users burst with joy since this
> was one of the more often requested feature... :)
Thanks!
-Malte