List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Form Completion
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-10 21:57:21

On Saturday 10 March 2001 14:51, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > > I thought about one completion object for one form, but then decided
> > > it would be more overhead to seperate between input-names than to have
> > > one completion object for every text-input, maybe I'm wrong here.
> >
> > Hmmm... hard to say.  It is probably comparable :)  One issue here
> > however is that it would mean that if all you do is enter
> > username/password, you have to do it at least once for all the places
> > where you have to enter this info before you get a completion match,
> > right ?  Then that would sort of be counter-productive.  Hmmm... perhaps
> > I should shut up before I test how this stuff works :)
>
> If the sites name their input fields alike, it's enough to enter the user
> name once on only one of them, provided that the username is the same. And
> the field names are probably named equally on many sites, to support IE's
> form completion :)

Well that is acceptable, but I am sure someone will complain nonetheless
sometime down the road :)

> Currently this doesn't work for passwords at all. I wouldn't want to show
> the passwords unsplatted in the completion popup and a bunch of "*****"
> entries in the popup isn't really helpful, is it?

Nope.  What do the other browsers do, IE or Mozilla though ?   I have a
feeling IE does not care and just simply feels out everything, right ?  I am
being biased here, but hey thiey deserve it based on their reputation.

BTW you cannot get this to work even if you tried since KLineEdit will refuse
to perform any completion if the echo mode is set to Password :)  Well I guess
you can if you choose to handle the completion and rotation signals on your
own, but that will be more work which I am sure most will not want to do...

> > BTW, you know you are going to have to write a config option for this,
> > sometime down the line right ? :)  Or simply enable the completion mode
> > changer and save the setting such that the user can choose the completion
> > mode to use.  BTW this can be no completion mode as well.
>
> Of course, this will be "turnoffable" :)

/me likes the new term "turnoffable" :-)

Regards,
Dawit A.