List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    RE: konqy listview configurability
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2000-03-20 13:11:01

On Mon, 20 Mär 2000, David Faure wrote:

-- 8< -- Snipping some stuff

> > E.g. I know actually nothing about gopher. If I would try to
> > access something with gopher, then suddenly columns would disappear.
> > I would try to reenable them in the menus.
> Why, since those are empty ?

Since they are hidden I would not know that they are empty.

> Why would you look for "Link" in the menus, if you don't need it ?

Because I wouldn't know wether I need it or not.

> You can't need it, since gopher has no idea what a link is.
> Keeping the column is even worse. It means: there may be links, keep me in.
> But since you don't know gopher, you don't know you can remove the column.
>
> > Then I would see it is disabled -> aha, maybe
> > automatically disabled because it's not supported by gopher ?
> Well, yes, and that makes sense.
>
> > Otherwise -> column is empty -> aha, no information available !
> That makes sense too, when the information _could_ be available,
> like symlinks on local dirs. In gopher (and a ton of other protocols)
> symlinks have no meaning at all. So it's more than
> "no info". It's "this column is nonsense with this protocol, let's remove
> it".

Hmm, I see it the other way.

Maybe the point is:

-your solution has no direct indication if something isn't supported or only
hidden.

-my solution has no indication if something isn't supported or only empty.

How about a special content telling "this is not supported" ?
-> nothing suddenly appearing/disappearing and the user would exactly and
directly know if it is supported or not.

Bye
Alex
--
If they say it's necessary to fight in a holy war
If they say your life is needed to protect the great ideals

Die Krupps