List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Startup time (RE: konqy listview configurability)
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       2000-03-20 13:33:05

> > -> more bugs possible and slower startup, e.g. konqy still takes
> > some seconds to load on my machine, the kdeinit (is it
> > actually used now by konqy ?) didn't decrease startup time
> "feelable".
> This has _nothing_ to do with the issue at hand.
... so let's make it a separate thread. ;-)

I wanted to add that : konqueror doesn't use kdeinit if
you start it manually (it's one or the other !) but it should
do if you use kfmclient (for instance if you click on
an icon on the desktop or use the icon in kicker). But this needs
to be checked - the code is there but I don't think I saw
it working finally. :)

If it uses kdeinit you see "kdeinit: konqueror" in the process list
instead of just "konqueror".

Anyway. I plan to have a deep look at startup time (and graphical feeling)
once we freeze the features for 1.90. But if you see anything that
could be improved, please tell. Note that using KProtocolManager::listing()
and reading a few values from config files (which is needed in both cases)
does not slow down anything at all - which is why I think it's a totally
separate issue from listview's column configuration.

David.