List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: khtml & Konquerer
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       1999-11-29 8:22:48

Hi Scott,

sure you can help. There are many points in khtml/konqueror, where work needs
to be done. Most of our discussions take place at the kfm-devel@kde.org mailing
list. You can have a look at the recent topics at http://lists.kde.org

khtml is going to get a bit restructured in a few weeks, so its perhaps not too
easy to start working there directly at the moment.

The main points you could work on:

* The javascript engine needs some work, mainly on the bindings to the Document
Object Model and to khtml. Harri Porten is the person working on that.

* In khtml, we will need people helping as soon as Antti and I did the switch
to CSS based rendering (see my recent post on kfm-devel). It will be mainly on
implementing first the CSS1 and then later on the CSS2 features.

* If you want, there's also work that needs to be done on the DOM Level 2
support. At the moment, we have only DOM Level 1 support at the moment, with
the StyleSheets part of Level 2 (See www.w3c.org/DOM for more info on DOM)

* In the future, some work on XML support will need to be done.

* There's the new kparts (our model for dynamically embedding different
viewers/komponents) into konqueror or other applications, which might ned some
work. Simon and David are the persons working on that.

* You can always write some viewing engines (parts) for some mimetypes which
are up to now not displayable.

* Ahh... and one thing I forgot, which might be very important if someone could
have a look at: If it would be possible to write an interface for netscape
plugins to make them work with konqueror.

Now this is quite a long ToDo list, and as you see, there's plenty of things
that need to be done. If you want to help, get the actual version of KDE-2, and
have a look at the konqueror and khtml code. For the beginning, doing some
bugfixing is quite a good way to get to know the program.

You can always ask on kfm-devel if you run into problems.

Cheers,
Lars

PS: I send a copy of this mail to kfm-devel.