List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    completions
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-08-29 17:36:45

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Troy Unrau wrote:

> Shift-Tab cycles backwards through frame focus, and no, an autocomplete
> feature should not breaK other controls.

What about netscape-like completion? I thought Qt does it somehow
automatically for some widget (sorry, didn't touch the Qt docu in a
while).

Sure, this doesn't give much advantage when multiple items have long
initial matching contents (like in the case of files in the same
directory) but then what about this:

0) empty lined
1) type 1-2 chars => lined completes to the first encountered match,
displays it and activates the selection on it excluding from the selection
the 1-2 chars typed before

2a) if another char (other than \013 <ENTER>) is typed, go back to 1.

2b) if \013 is hit, restrain the active selection zone to the part of the
currently displayed match that is unique (not present in any other match
corresponding the the first matched chars)

	3a) if any char (besides \013) is typed now, go to 1

	3b) if a \013 is hit, currently displayed URL is accepted

This amounts to:

In bash:   types <TAB> ... <ENTER>
In klined: types <ENTER> ... <ENTER>

What do you say?