List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: AVFS: A Virtual File System
From:       Miklos.Szeredi () eth ! ericsson ! se (Miklos Szeredi)
Date:       1999-05-03 8:37:40

> Well, AVFS seemed interesting, but didn't seem to provide anything but
> perhaps another layer of abstraction.  Keep in mind kioslaves are
> essentially AVFS modules, only they're not shared libraries, they're
> executable programs.

I'm not saying, that you should throw out the kioslave method and
replace it with avfs. I only suggest, that you could create another
kioslave which would use avfs and could handle the file types, that
KFM currently does not support.

> Well, on my old p166, gzip was quite a bit faster than using gzread, both
> were compiled with the same optimizations.

Here are some numbers: (you cannot actually reproduce these until the
next avfs version, because it needs a 3 line modification, to make it
not cache the whole uncompressed file if the "+" parameter is given)

  bcica:/tmp> time cat linux-2.2.2.tar.gz@ugz+ > /dev/null
  5.850u 0.190s 0:06.05 99.8%	0+0k 0+0io 200pf+0w

  bcica:/tmp> time gunzip < linux-2.2.2.tar.gz > /dev/null
  5.660u 0.060s 0:05.73 99.8%	0+0k 0+0io 124pf+0w

I think the difference is quite insignificant.

> Really?  Reading unzip.c lead me to believe that there are patent issues
> with some of the compresion schemes used by pkzip.  Who knows.

Yes, maybe some older compression methods used by pkzip were patented,
but the currently universal DEFLATE method (which is used also by
gzip) is not patented.

Miklos