List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: AVFS: A Virtual File System
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-04-30 22:48:32

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> Don't bother. This is a problem with libc5 programs NOT libc6. The
> compatibility library is needed, so that libc5 programs don't crash
> when they try to load the avfs library compiled with libc6.

So I can chalk it up to Linux blowing chunks? ;)

> Again you are very mistaken. AVFS was created exactly because the MC
> vfs was too much integrated with MC. Otherwise I would have started
> work on the MC vfs. It is quite standalone, it only needs libc to
> work. The file handler modules do not even need libc.

Well, AVFS seemed interesting, but didn't seem to provide anything but
perhaps another layer of abstraction.  Keep in mind kioslaves are
essentially AVFS modules, only they're not shared libraries, they're
executable programs.

> It isn't any slower (actually the code is derived from gzip). Maybe
> you should compile with optimizations.

Well, on my old p166, gzip was quite a bit faster than using gzread, both
were compiled with the same optimizations.

> No license problems with unzip, because zlib can handle zipfiles as
> well.

Really?  Reading unzip.c lead me to believe that there are patent issues
with some of the compresion schemes used by pkzip.  Who knows.

> The 'rar' part is actually the unintresting, because it does use 'rar'
> to extract the files and so it is slow as hell.

Well, regardless there is a freeware unrar program out there...

- alex