List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: AVFS: A Virtual File System
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-05-03 22:11:38

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> I'm not saying, that you should throw out the kioslave method and
> replace it with avfs.

This would uh, not happen, anytime soon :)

> I only suggest, that you could create another kioslave which would use
> avfs and could handle the file types, that KFM currently does not
> support.

I personally am not interested in doing this.  If you're interested in
seeing this done, I'll gladly provide asistance, and I'm sure you could
get CVS access to import it (or heckle me to import it).

> > Well, on my old p166, gzip was quite a bit faster than using gzread, both
> > were compiled with the same optimizations.
>
> Here are some numbers: (you cannot actually reproduce these until the
> next avfs version, because it needs a 3 line modification, to make it
> not cache the whole uncompressed file if the "+" parameter is given)
>
> I think the difference is quite insignificant.

I'm not quite sure what your numbers prove, but I know what happened when
I modified the kioslave for 1.1 to use libz.  I'll try it again (w/ the
HEAD branch) and see what happens.

- alex