List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: AVFS: A Virtual File System
From:       Miklos.Szeredi () eth ! ericsson ! se (Miklos Szeredi)
Date:       1999-04-30 9:03:33

> Two things bothered me, one was the fact that it needed a compatibility
> library to work with libc6..

Don't bother. This is a problem with libc5 programs NOT libc6. The
compatibility library is needed, so that libc5 programs don't crash
when they try to load the avfs library compiled with libc6.

So if your program is compiled under glibc you do not need to bother
with the compatibility library.

AVFS can be linked to your programs instead of using LD_PRELOAD. This
case you can distribute KFM without any compatibility library and
everything will work fine.

> the other was that it appears to have quite a bit of integration
> with MC.

Again you are very mistaken. AVFS was created exactly because the MC
vfs was too much integrated with MC. Otherwise I would have started
work on the MC vfs. It is quite standalone, it only needs libc to
work. The file handler modules do not even need libc.

> I've messed around with libz, and it's quite easy to use that instead of
> gzip(1) for gzip compression/decompression, however it _seemed_ much
> slower.  I can provide diffs if anyone's interested.

It isn't any slower (actually the code is derived from gzip). Maybe
you should compile with optimizations.

> The only parts that really interested me were the tar, and rar extraction.
> Due to license issues, it's probably best to use unzip the )program( and
> not try and glean some functions outta it.

No license problems with unzip, because zlib can handle zipfiles as
well.

The 'rar' part is actually the unintresting, because it does use 'rar'
to extract the files and so it is slow as hell.

Miklos