List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: AVFS: A Virtual File System
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-04-30 1:13:11

> Ah that's great. We have been looking for such a library for some time.
> Currently we rely on external programs (tar/gzip etc) which has its
> problems.

Two things bothered me, one was the fact that it needed a compatibility
library to work with libc6.. the other was that it appears to have quite a
bit of integration with MC.  Using avfs would certianly irritate my
stomach, but if someone was dead set on using it, I also am not really in
a position to stop anyone.

It appears to use the bzip2 program to read bzip2 files, and have internal
support for everything else.  bzip2 (newer versions anyways) come with a
bzip2 library also.  I'm not sure how much if any of an advantage would be
provided by using the library over the binary program (hell I could
probably dlsym the program to get at the library funcitions..).

I've messed around with libz, and it's quite easy to use that instead of
gzip(1) for gzip compression/decompression, however it _seemed_ much
slower.  I can provide diffs if anyone's interested.

The only parts that really interested me were the tar, and rar extraction.
Due to license issues, it's probably best to use unzip the )program( and
not try and glean some functions outta it.

- alex