List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: mail-folder + mail-messages in konqy
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-03-31 13:00:32

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Sven Radej wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I just read Waldo's nice DESIGN document once again and I'm thinking about
> >integrating mail-"browsing" into Konqueror.
> >side (and from the users point of view) I have no real clue how we can do
> >it. And that's why I'm asking for opinions/suggestions/comments about
> >the following points:
> >
> >1) How should the user "tell" Konqy: "Hey, I want to view mails." ?
> >   By browsing into it's mail directory and clicking on a mail folder
> >   file? Hm, in somehow I don't like this idea.
> But why not? Mail folder can have nice icon. In case of mailbox-style folder
> this would be enough. Clickingo on Inbox or something should be job for
> mail-application. For MH or other mail-styles, Mail/ directory could have some
> remark in .directory which would tell konqueror to call mail-application.

Yes, I agree here, but OTOH I don't want to fire up another iconview,
browse into my home directory, search the Mail folder icon, just in order
to read my email inside Konqy :-)
Instead I for example would rather do it like this:
I have two additional icons in Konqy's toolbar (or somehwere else) , one
button for "check-new-mail" and the second for "fire-up-my-mail-reader"
(or course the plugin-application should decide about this buttons) .
Now if I want to compose a message or just reply to another one the real
application shows up.
OTOH this sound _veryveryvery_ much like KBiff, docked into the kpanel and
not like a browser, or?
So do we really want to "browse" mail messages? And if yes, how?

>  >   By extending Konqueror's menus/toolbar if a mail browsing plugin is
> >   available? Perhaps go the netscape way and add something like the mail
> >   button in the communicator?
> >
> >2) How should an email view look like and how should it be selected?
> This is job for mail-application. Or maybe a special mail-viewer.
>
> >   Idea: For plain messages it's just a htmlized reader view (like in
> >   KMail), for folders it's a combination of a tablistbox containing the
> >   headers of all messages plus a reader widget (all being part of one
> >   single view) . And perhaps a third, kmail-all-in-one view?
> >   But then the problem remains: How do we select one of those view modes?
> >   How does the user tell: "Hey, I want to view one message", "Give me
> >   all msg's in that folder" or "Ah, I want to see all my mail stuff" ?
> >
> >3) Citing Waldo: "I think we should keep Konqueror a "browser": You can
> >   browse with it, and look at things. But when you want to _DO_ things,
> >   you will need a full-fledged application."
> >   Do we want to break this rule in case of an email viewer and make the
> >   email view a Real(tm) thing, which in somehow makes sense in case of
> >   mail-msgs/news-articles.
>
> I wouldn't break this rule. Otherwise we won't need window manager or anything:
> "just start X and maximized konqueror, everything is in there..."

Oh, you must have missed it, but this is the true intention of the
project: Replace KDE, X and the whole Operating System
;-)))

Greetings,
 Simon