List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Info about kfm plugin development?
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-03-31 12:44:14

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Heiko Nardmann wrote:

> I am looking for information how to develop a kfm plugin.
> Where do I find information about that?
> Can this be done already with the KDE-1.1 kfm or do I need
> CVS stuff for it?

forget kfm
Konqueror is the new baby
;-)

=> You need the very latest CVS sources

> What I want to do:
> take a directory, check the contents of each file.
> Depending on the contents I discard displaying it or
> use information from this file to display a different
> file name than the real file name.
>
> Good for:
> browsing locally mounted (via Samba) VSS repositories.
>
> Idea:
> start input with 'vss:<path>' to say that the directory <path>
> should be searched for VSS information files.
>
> Later:
> use VSS root directory to display the whole hierarchy
> and use context menu or something else to check in/out files.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I have now clue about VSS repositories:
You want to access some data, addressed by a special protocol specifier
("vss:") plus a path?
If so, you have two choices:

1) You can either develop an extra kioslave, handling all requests for
   this protocol. This would bring the advantage, that _every_ application
   (including Konqy) using libkio will be able to access these VSS
   repositories. The disadvantage might be that you're limited to the
   standard ioslave operations. But since I have to clue about this VSS
   stuff I'm not sure whether this is really a disadvantage.

2) The other choice is developing a KOM component implementing the
   Konqueror::View interface, being bound to a certain protocol (in this
   case "vss:") . Konqueror will then automatically fire up your
   application which "exports" the view component when the users wants to
   access data via this protocol.

While 1) is a very low-level and general solution without any GUI stuff,
choice 2) combines both tasks: The low-level solution in regard to
accessing the repository via the standard libkio slaves and the GUI task
in providing a "visible" interface to the data (in this case you might
perhaps want to have a look at the kiconcontainer, being a veryveryvery
nice class to display all kinds of "iconified" data) .

In any way: Make sure you're familiar with libkio, and if you want a very
smart integration into Konqueror you'll have to deal with KOM/OpenParts
and Konqueror's interface (konqueror.idl) .
And I'm sure everyone here will help you with any questions/problems in
regard to this.

But since I have no idea what such a repository looks like and what it is
for, I'm not sure whether this helps ;) . Just tell us (or at least me :)
what such a thing is for and how data is accessed/displayed.

Bye,
 Simon