On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Heiko Nardmann wrote: > I am looking for information how to develop a kfm plugin. > Where do I find information about that? > Can this be done already with the KDE-1.1 kfm or do I need > CVS stuff for it? forget kfm Konqueror is the new baby ;-) => You need the very latest CVS sources > What I want to do: > take a directory, check the contents of each file. > Depending on the contents I discard displaying it or > use information from this file to display a different > file name than the real file name. > > Good for: > browsing locally mounted (via Samba) VSS repositories. > > Idea: > start input with 'vss:' to say that the directory > should be searched for VSS information files. > > Later: > use VSS root directory to display the whole hierarchy > and use context menu or something else to check in/out files. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I have now clue about VSS repositories: You want to access some data, addressed by a special protocol specifier ("vss:") plus a path? If so, you have two choices: 1) You can either develop an extra kioslave, handling all requests for this protocol. This would bring the advantage, that _every_ application (including Konqy) using libkio will be able to access these VSS repositories. The disadvantage might be that you're limited to the standard ioslave operations. But since I have to clue about this VSS stuff I'm not sure whether this is really a disadvantage. 2) The other choice is developing a KOM component implementing the Konqueror::View interface, being bound to a certain protocol (in this case "vss:") . Konqueror will then automatically fire up your application which "exports" the view component when the users wants to access data via this protocol. While 1) is a very low-level and general solution without any GUI stuff, choice 2) combines both tasks: The low-level solution in regard to accessing the repository via the standard libkio slaves and the GUI task in providing a "visible" interface to the data (in this case you might perhaps want to have a look at the kiconcontainer, being a veryveryvery nice class to display all kinds of "iconified" data) . In any way: Make sure you're familiar with libkio, and if you want a very smart integration into Konqueror you'll have to deal with KOM/OpenParts and Konqueror's interface (konqueror.idl) . And I'm sure everyone here will help you with any questions/problems in regard to this. But since I have no idea what such a repository looks like and what it is for, I'm not sure whether this helps ;) . Just tell us (or at least me :) what such a thing is for and how data is accessed/displayed. Bye, Simon > Glossary: > oops ... I forgot: VSS = Visual Source Safe > > BTW: anyone useful information about the structure of VSS > repositories. Currently I am just examining them by differential > analysis. > > -- > Ciao ... Heiko Nardmann (Dipl.-Ing.), Software Development > secunet (www.secunet.de), Security Networks GmbH - Sicherheit in > Netzwerken > Weidenauer Str. 223-225, D-57076 Siegen > Tel. : +49 271 48950-13, Fax : +49 271 48950-50 >