List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KFM:Wishlist for 1.2
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-01-20 1:22:09

Andrew Morton wrote:
> * I'm sure this has been discussed, but I'm interested in the
> conclusion: would it be a good idea to build Gecko (the guts of Mozilla)
> into KFM?

This comes up quite a bit in 'user-land' (kde@kde.org, kde-user, etc...not
much in kde-devel) with somebody saying "We should use Gecko" (or "Raptor"
or "NGLayout" or whatever) but *really* meaning "SOMEBODY ELSE should
integrate Gecko".  Basically, everybody that could do it, won't (as I'm
sure Waldo is saying in a later message that I see he wrote).

So what it comes down to is this: if *you* want Gecko instead of khtml(w),
then *you* will have to do it (generic "you", not "you=Andrew").

Now, it looks like you have a good amount of experience!  If you really
like Gecko, why not try hacking together a quick kfm using Gecko instead
of khtmlw.  If it is clearly better than khtmlw, then it's entirely
possible that kfm will use that instead...

> * It's sometimes real tricky to click or double-click on a transparent
> icon because the mouse pointer can be pointing at a 'hole' in it.  Is it
> even possible to make the bounding rectangle the hotspot?

I agree!

> Finally, would the KFM development team be interested if I were to do
> some development?  If so, how to set about this?  What are the priority
> items? Something modest to start out with, please.  (I've been doing C
> for 15 years, C++ for five - I like to think I'm fairly handy at it).

This is a silly question :-)  ALL KDE projects would gladly take any
help at all from somebody that knew what they were doing (or willing
to learn)!
--
Kurt Granroth
granroth@kde.org