List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: XEmbed-aware NPAPI Plugins?
From:       Mike Melanson <mike () multimedia ! cx>
Date:       2007-04-03 21:08:44

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> On Tuesday 03 April 2007 00:16 +0100, Mike Melanson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any plans to adapt Konqueror (now KFM?) to use XEmbed to
>> instantiate NPAPI plugins (such as the Flash Player)?
>
> I am not sure I understand the question correctly.
> Do you mean "adapt" in the sense of doing differently than we do now or in
> changing to a new version of the NPAPI?

Not a new version of NPAPI.

Mozilla implements XEmbed for embedding plugins on X, which differs (in
good ways) from the classical Xt mainloop method (though it still
supports the old method). The API (from the plugin's perspective) is here:

   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/xembed-plugin-extension.html

I've seen the code on Mozilla and it seems pretty simple from the
hosting app angle, too (query the plugin to ask if it supports XEmbed,
if yes, create an XEmbed socket and pass it to the plugin via SetWindow()).

I'm interested because I'm working on upgrading a NPAPI plugin from Xt
mainloop to XEmbed.

> P.S.: KFM has been the name of the filemanager in KDE1, it's been Konqueror
> since KDE2

Ooops, I mis-read the mailing list page and got it backwards. Good; I
think Konqueror is a cooler name than KFM.

--
	-Mike Melanson