List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: XEmbed-aware NPAPI Plugins?
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-04-04 10:57:48

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 23:08 +0100, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > On Tuesday 03 April 2007 00:16 +0100, Mike Melanson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Are there any plans to adapt Konqueror (now KFM?) to use XEmbed to
> >> instantiate NPAPI plugins (such as the Flash Player)?
> >
> > I am not sure I understand the question correctly.
> > Do you mean "adapt" in the sense of doing differently than we do now or
> > in changing to a new version of the NPAPI?
>
> Not a new version of NPAPI.
>
> Mozilla implements XEmbed for embedding plugins on X, which differs (in
> good ways) from the classical Xt mainloop method (though it still
> supports the old method). The API (from the plugin's perspective) is here:
>
>    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/xembed-plugin-extension.html

I see, thanks for clarifying.

I think we already use XEmbed or something similar for plugins because we run
them out of process as part of nspluginviewer, in which case it might not be
very difficult to check if the plugin can do its side of XEmbed itself.

However, you better wait for an answer of the developers with in-depth
knowlegde of browser and/or plugin handling (please excuse the CC'ing guys)

> I've seen the code on Mozilla and it seems pretty simple from the
> hosting app angle, too (query the plugin to ask if it supports XEmbed,
> if yes, create an XEmbed socket and pass it to the plugin via SetWindow()).
>
> I'm interested because I'm working on upgrading a NPAPI plugin from Xt
> mainloop to XEmbed.

Adobe Flash plugin, correct?

Cheers,
Kevin