List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: kio_mount
From:       Igor Gilitschenski <igi-g () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-11-16 18:25:14

Hi,

The Idea mentioned by you appears interesting to me, but I question
wether a path under Linux is able to represent an URL. I mean:
How would you access an URL like this:
http://www.mysite.mydomain/search/?foo=bar&abc=def
I think this would look something like this:

$ cd /path-to-kio-mountpoint/
$ vi \?foo=bar\&abc=def

The Problems here are:
1. How to do an directory Listing.
2. How to check wether a file is writeable (HTTP does afaik not offer
   this mechanism).

This example was done for HTTP. Other Protocols might bring their own
problems with them, which might be mostly based on the question of how
to do Directory listnings and stuff like this.

Btw.: Some months ago there was a Slashdot article about an MySQL Fs.
Maybe this is also an interesitng point to start,

Igor
--
Nervenkitzel mit Windows.
Stabilität ist langweilig.