List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: kio_mount
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-11-17 14:17:52

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 07:25:14PM +0100, Igor Gilitschenski wrote:
> The Idea mentioned by you appears interesting to me, but I question wether
> a path under Linux is able to represent an URL.

It is primarily ment for KIO slaves that represent filesystems, the HTTP one
is probably the best example of one that hardly does.

> 1. How to do an directory Listing.

Most KIO slaves support listDir.

> 2. How to check wether a file is writeable (HTTP does afaik not offer
>    this mechanism).

Read-only mounts are possible, and again HTTP is probably the least useful
slave for this purpose.

I'll contact the author of FUSE and ask him whether he's interested. I'm
sure there will be certain problems but plenty of opportunity as well.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap@capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."