List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: speed issues: kcmshell and multiple modules
From:       Daniel Molkentin <molkentin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-16 19:09:36

On Friday 16 November 2001 18:31, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 16 November 2001 17:37, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> > I see only one way out of this: Hint a size in the .desktop files.
> >
> > Contra: works for the english translation and the default fonts, but the
> > module might get another size in another language.
>
> Yeah, that doesn't sound too good.
>
> Why not let the layout management do its job, adapting to new modules
> after creating them ?
> I don't mean loading them in the background (the resizing would happen
> at weird times if doing that), but loading when clicking on an icon.
>
> Or.... we could load in the background and create the modules, but into
> a hidden toplevel widget (each), and reparent the widget into the kcmshell
> window when selecting that module, so that it's faster.... Tricky, but why
> not ? ;)

Sounds good, but I am not sure what you want to do with the kcmshell canvas
itself. Should it grow/shrink to fit the modules' needs? I thought about
implementing that in kcontrol itself. Gnome's control center has it, too and
I find it quite convinient for some situations. Of course one has to check
some things first (e.g. winsize still < desktopsize).

Cheers,

</daniel>

--
Daniel Molkentin | The K Desktop Environment | http://www.kde.org