List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] simple question about how to manage delivery
From:       Robert Smits <labour () telus ! net>
Date:       2008-01-03 19:53:36

On January 3, 2008 09:57:21 am E. Hakan Duran wrote:

> > > 1. There is no button in address book to create a new message to that
> > > list. You can create new messages to individual contacts but not
> > > individual lists.
> >
> > Sure there is. In Kmail start a new message, then select distribution
> > lists, then select the list you want.
>
> Just how can I do that? I open Kmail, start a new message then how exactly
> I select distribution lists? From the Select button next to the To field,
> right? That is the main thing I have been complaining about. They are not
> listed there. I fail to see another menu option / button to do that. It may
> be because of my locale, but please let me know which menu or button to use
> other than the Select button I have been referring to.

Start new message, go to select. Choose distribution lists from the categories
drop down. They're almost at the bottom of the list.

> > While you're in Contacts, go to Settings, then Show Extension Bar and
> > make sure the box next to Distribution List Editor is selected. When you
> > select one of the distribution lists in the lower window, you can add new
> > contacts, remove them, rename the list, etc. You can also use the filter
> > function to select a particular group of addresses and then drag them to
> > the distribution list.
>
> This I have no problem with. But still the distribution lists only show on
> the allocated pane, not on the contacts list with funny icons including a
> green and blue fellow (this is the way they show on the list that comes up
> when you push the Select button next to the To filed in a new message
> window).

See above. You need to select distribution lists from the available categories
first, then select the distribution list.

> > Instead of selecting All, select distribution list and your lists will
> > appear. Hovering your mouse over the list name will show the entries in
> > the list.
>
> Yes they do, but only the ones I saved previously from kmail (Tools>Save
> distribution list), not from address book. This is the problem.
>
> > Of course you can. You need to use the Distribution List Editor, that's
> > all.
>
> I can't, because the lists I saved from kmail are not listed in the address
> book Distribution List Editor. They are only listed when I push the Select
> button next to the To filed in a new message window. The ones I create
> using Distribution List Editor, on the other hand, are not listed when I
> push the Select button next to the To filed in a new message window.

This is a two stage process. In the category select window, select
distribution lists, then you should see a selection of lists.

> > You'll find the contact addresses in a series of files called std.vcf,
> > std.vcf_1, and so on in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc.There's also a
> > distribution list file in the same folder.
>
> I went there (~/.kde/share/apps/kabc) edited the distribution list file by
> kwrite, and saved it and achieved my goal. The only lists those were there
> were the ones I saved from kmail.  None of the lists I created using address
> book Distribution List Editor were listed there. I guess my address book
> does not appropriately save distribution lists to the allocated file for
> some reason. Any idea why?

No. I don't know what Linux distribution you're using, so I don't think I can
add anything more at this point. If you're not finding distribution lists
after you create them, there's something wrong with your install. I'm using
OpenSuse 10.3 here and KONTACT 1.2.4 with KDE 3.5.7 release 72.2. Perhaps you
could try a later version from your Linux distribution, or directly from KDE.

> Ones again, thanks a lot for the great guidance.

You're welcome.

--
Robert Smits CEP525G

Nanaimo, Duncan & District Labour Council
Box 822 Nanaimo, V9R 5N2 Ph 250-753-0201
Fax 250-753-2954 Email labour@telus.net