List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-28 20:14:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
> I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced IMAP
> support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just awful.
> If I click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something like:
>
> "Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."
>
> And it can stay like that for an hour. Folders with tagged mail are
> viewable, but the inbox with untagged e-mail is not. This has put me
> off of KMail and on to Thunderbird, where the performance is quite
> fast.  I am using the same settings in both clients. The instructions
> I used are at:
>
> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=siblin
>
> I have tried setting the account up both as IMAP and disconnected
> IMAP. The disconnected IMAP setting is even worse. My folders appear,
> but I can't see anything that's in them.

I have just added an IMAP account for my GMail account to KMail. I had
no problem opening any of my folders, but I do have only 2406 message
in my inbox and only 9872 in [GMail]/Trash. On first access KMail
downloaded the headers of all messages. This took some time. Afterwards
opening the folders was fast.

It is possible that we have performance issues with folders containing
20,000+ messages, but folder with up to 10,000 message are no problem
here.

Make sure that KMail does not try to filter the messages on your IMAP
account. Filtering over IMAP is indeed incredibly slow because KMail
downloads all messages.

Regards,
Ingo