List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?
From:       "\(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=\) -- Fernando" <ubuntu () bugabundo ! net>
Date:       2007-11-25 23:01:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 25 November 2007 16:33:49 Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
> > I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced IMAP
> > support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just awful. If I
> > click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something like:
> >
> > "Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."
> >
> > And it can stay like that for an hour. Folders with tagged mail are
> > viewable, but the inbox with untagged e-mail is not. This has put me off of
> > KMail and on to Thunderbird, where the performance is quite fast.  I am
> > using the same settings in both clients. The instructions I used are at:
> >
> > https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=sibling
> >
> > I have tried setting the account up both as IMAP and disconnected IMAP. The
> > disconnected IMAP setting is even worse. My folders appear, but I can't see
> > anything that's in them.
> >

> I'm sorry but i have to say that kmail's imap support simply *SUCKS*. I'm
> really really sorry to use this word, but I'm very disapointed with
> the "performance" ( actually, I can't even use it).
>
> After a lot of testing, I got to the conclusion that kmail is not usable with
> an imap server through an internet connection but it does work with my own
> imap server on my machine ( it works, but even here, not perfectly).
>
> To use gmail and its imap support i ended up using offlineimap to sync Gmail
> with my dovecot server and then pointed kmail to my local server.
>
> Damnshock
>
> PS: offline imap is... well, don't really know why there's this option :(
>
> PS2: don't get me wrong, i love this program and I'm still using it ( think
> that i've set my own imap server just to go on using this app :) )

I never read anyone describing my situation so fine. Thanks Marc.
Thats exactly my feeling! I love Kmail, its my email client. It allows me to do stuff \
that evo/tb cant. But it crashes on me a bit, IMAP sucks, bogofilter slows the all \
machine down to its toes, and dIMAP aint able to sync properly. Using Kmail with \
really large email number (+10k) makes it a bit slower, and hard to work with. \
Uploading email to an IMAP server, can only be done in small batches (and some times \
I can only move emails from one local folder to another in a small amount of 3 (yeah \
three)).

Guys, we all love kmail. I use it. it gives me probs, and I keep using it. I'm on \
this list and try to help with as much as I can. But make it better for the kde 4.x, \
ok?

keep up the good work, DEVs.

--
BUGabundo  :o)