List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?
From:       Thomas Vollmer <thomas-ml () vollmeronline ! de>
Date:       2007-11-25 18:35:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sonntag, 25. November 2007, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
> > I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced IMAP
> > support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just awful.
> > If I click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something like:
> >
> > "Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."
> >
> > And it can stay like that for an hour. Folders with tagged mail are
> > viewable, but the inbox with untagged e-mail is not. This has put me
> > off of KMail and on to Thunderbird, where the performance is quite
> > fast.  I am using the same settings in both clients. The
> > instructions I used are at:
> >
> > https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=sibli
> >ng
> >
> > I have tried setting the account up both as IMAP and disconnected
> > IMAP. The disconnected IMAP setting is even worse. My folders
> > appear, but I can't see anything that's in them.
>
> I'm sorry but i have to say that kmail's imap support simply *SUCKS*.
> I'm really really sorry to use this word, but I'm very disapointed
> with the "performance" ( actually, I can't even use it).

For me it works (and worked) well over different types of internet
connections from 64 KBit/s to that what a 100 MBit/s Ethernet makes when
it is switched into a 2x2,5 Gps backbone.

> After a lot of testing, I got to the conclusion that kmail is not
> usable with an imap server through an internet connection but it does
> work with my own imap server on my machine ( it works, but even here,
> not perfectly).

Yes, local IMAP works also.

> To use gmail and its imap support i ended up using offlineimap to sync
> Gmail with my dovecot server and then pointed kmail to my local
> server.
>
> Damnshock
>
> PS: offline imap is... well, don't really know why there's this option
> :(

Think again about it. The first requires a online connection to the IMAP
server to read through the mails. The second holds a local copy from the
one already fetched. So You can read through them even when you have no
internet. The question is why there is this diversification.

Thomas