List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?
From:       Marc Deop i =?iso-8859-1?q?Argem=ED?= <damnshock () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-25 16:33:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
> I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced IMAP
> support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just awful. If I
> click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something like:
>
> "Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."
>
> And it can stay like that for an hour. Folders with tagged mail are
> viewable, but the inbox with untagged e-mail is not. This has put me off of
> KMail and on to Thunderbird, where the performance is quite fast.  I am
> using the same settings in both clients. The instructions I used are at:
>
> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=sibling
>
> I have tried setting the account up both as IMAP and disconnected IMAP. The
> disconnected IMAP setting is even worse. My folders appear, but I can't see
> anything that's in them.

I'm sorry but i have to say that kmail's imap support simply *SUCKS*. I'm
really really sorry to use this word, but I'm very disapointed with
the "performance" ( actually, I can't even use it).

After a lot of testing, I got to the conclusion that kmail is not usable with
an imap server through an internet connection but it does work with my own
imap server on my machine ( it works, but even here, not perfectly).

To use gmail and its imap support i ended up using offlineimap to sync Gmail
with my dovecot server and then pointed kmail to my local server.

Damnshock

PS: offline imap is... well, don't really know why there's this option :(

PS2: don't get me wrong, i love this program and I'm still using it ( think
that i've set my own imap server just to go on using this app :) )