List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?
From:       Jim Philips <philips_jim () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2007-11-25 16:02:10

I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced IMAP
support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just awful. If I
click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something like:

"Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."

And it can stay like that for an hour. Folders with tagged mail are viewable, but the \
inbox with untagged e-mail is not. This has put me off of KMail and on to \
Thunderbird, where the performance is quite fast.  I am using the same settings in \
both clients. The instructions I used are at:

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=sibling

I have tried setting the account up both as IMAP and disconnected IMAP. The \
disconnected IMAP setting is even worse. My folders appear, but I can't see anything \
that's in them.