List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] KMail + IMAP painfully slow
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-05-15 17:58:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I've spent the day watching KMail be unresponsive (using most of the CPU,
> not updating the screen, not responding to the mouse) using a local (Cyrus)
> IMAP server.
>
> Moving messages takes many minutes, sometimes (even when it's not many
> messages).
>
> Getting the text of a message to display can take forever.
>
> I disabled automatic checking, and this seemed to help some.  The manual
> check remains slow, I guess because it insists on visiting every folder.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Is my mailstore bigger than KMail was designed
> for?  Or is KMail just not that good at IMAP?
>
> I have 2 imap accounts; a small remote one and a large local one.  The
> local one has about 115 folders (with several levels of nesting), some of
> which have a lot of messages (several in the 10's of thousands, the largest
> around 80k).  KMail's area under .kde is about 335Mg.  I have yet to visit
> most of the folders.
>
> kmail 3.5.5.dfsg.1-6 (the about panel says it's 1.9.5) on Debian GNU/Linux.
> 3GHz Pentium4 with a decent SATA disk.
>
> It's doing better than evolution, which can't define the accounts, and
> arguably better than mutt, which hangs every time it exits a folder.

Could it be that you are using mbox folders?  If that is so, remember that to
display a message the mbox has to be opened, then it has to skim down to find
the relevant bit.  When you delete or move the message the whole mbox has to
be re-written.

I used to use it, and it was speed that made me change to maildir.  The good
news is that it's easy to do.  If you make a second folder for each account -
say these mails are in a kdepim folder, you make a kdepim2.folder in maildir
format.  Drag all the messages into the new folder, delete the old one, and
rename the new one to kdepim.

I did this with all my folders - possibly not as many as yours, but maybe
70-80.  It does take a little while, but after that speed is no longer a
problem.

Hope that helps

Anne